Wednesday, May 18, 2011

When to buy Organic

This is a very well put together piece from MSNBC.  Organic food: Is it worth the extra money?

The general rule of thumb I use (instead of carrying a list of the items mentioned in this article or any other) is that anything that has a thick skin that I am not eating (avocado, orange, pineapple) I will buy organic.  I also buy all my greens organic even though this article doesn't necessarily go with that. 

Pesticides are sprayed onto the foods which is why it is said that most of it is discarded with the skin of the food you are eating.  However, I am not so sure I completely agree with this because over time, there must be some amount of these chemicals getting into the innards of the foods through the soil.  Even though I think this is the case, I still try and be financially conscious when I am purchasing these food items since my money is not endless.  The real goal is to minimize exposure to these toxins since completely avoiding them is very difficult without having your own farm and only eating from there. 

Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment